Friday 5 October 2012

A little rain must fall

There have been so many incredible musical duos in recent history: The Everley Brothers, Simon and Garfunkle, Mick and Kieth, Lennon and McCartney, Ian and Sylvia, Ike and Tina (before the breakdown), Bangalter and de Homem-Christo (Daft Punk, FYI), Jones and Strummer (The Clash), Meg and Jack, Kris and Kross...

These duos are all well and good, but for me nothing touches the energy and raw creative force that sparked between Page and Plant. Together with JPJ and Bonzo, Led Zeppelin charted a new course for rock music and, according to numerous critics, were instrumental in developing, if not founding, several totally awesome musical genres including progressive rock, alternative rock, and heavy metal.

Also, they sung about elves.

If you haven't already, check out their live performances from the 60s and 70s. No... seriously. Do it. I recommend this DVDCheck out this awesome documentary while you're at it. If you weren't a Zep fan before, you will become one, I promise.

I realize that my dozen or so weekly readers are probably on the same Page as me, but hey... there's nothing wrong with preaching to the choir every now and then.

Recently I started playing the ol' 12 string again. I'm very quickly realizing that I need to boost my left hand strength... too much 6 string and electric will do that to you. Irrespective of my many musical failings, I've been bumbling my way through one of my favourite tracks from the Page/Plant catalogue: The Rain Song. With autumn well under way, I figure it's a perfect choice for this week's Friday Soundtrack.

So Plant your bum in a chair, couch, or bed, and lend your ears to this beautiful performance from the greatest musical duo of the last hundred years.

Enjoy.

Seriously.

It doesn't get any better.


No comments:

Post a Comment