Friday 21 September 2012

Talk talk talk

A few weeks ago I made soup and listened to Annie Lennox on repeat for about 2 hours.

It was a good two hours.

I was especially digging "No More I Love Yous" which, curiously enough, is a cover of Lover Speaks. "Lover Speaks" makes me smile because this week's entry is especially interested in an inconspicuous little lyric from their most famous song: "language is leaving me".

In our adult lives, language often falls short.

Sometimes we get by without it. As children we were little more than cries, poop, and giggles, but managed to do alright.

And sometimes we better off without it. Language packages our emotions into bland 4-letter boxes which often miss the mark. Love. Hate. Trust. Hope.

And then, of course, there's the interesting fact that humans were once, like animals, without a sophisticated syntax. As noted by Stephen Hawking, "For millions of years mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk."

In the hope that language won't get in the way of what I'm trying to say, I'm going to stop writing now.

I lied.

Here are two tracks that speak for themselves.

Pink Floyd - Keep Talking
Annie Lennox - No More I Love Yous


No comments:

Post a Comment